[plug] School Web Page

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Aug 6 23:19:10 WST 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:05, Craig Ringer wrote:
> XF864.2 required?

I think 4.1 will do but 4.2 definitely does. Mandrake 8.2 + KDE 3 has this
neat little checkbox `use anti-aliasing for fonts'.

> I've been looking at ADSL plans and it
> looks like since I last checked a couple of months ago iiNet has gone to
> new plans (crap, a few gigs of data then shaped to 56k, plus blocks
> ports of services I use like https and smtp) and westnets aren't as good
> as last time I checked either.

Eh? $80 a month buys you 3G during daylight plus static IP, free WAIX, free
midnight-to-dawn and no throttling (6c/MB over). What more could you want?
(-:

Oh, and it works in Albany, Geraldton, and other places (they've taken down
the list, how helpful).

Interesting footnote from WN's FAQ: WinXP may power down your USB hub to save
power, disconnecting your ADSL link!

> Eftel want your soul for access, plus
> $15/month for unmetered WAIX, and they've gone and bought q-net
> sometime.

And consequently QNet lost their Debian mirror and started transproxying.

> Shouldn't a contract be binding for the period of the contract and
> changeable only by the consent of both parties?

Actually, between the time I started looking at ADSL and the time I was told
ADSL wouldn't reach here, they changed for the better (and, surprise, WestNet
have just added satellite and wireless in the last few days).

Wireless is - as usual - f'ing expensive (like $250 a month flagfall) but
works in Perth, Geraldton, Bunbury, Kalgoorlie, Esperance (I'd expect to see
Albany and a few other northern towns added soon).

Satellite is $60 (256k) or $70 a month (400k) plus the cost of a modem
account, plus $600-1200 for a dish. Satellite, like modem, works anywhere in
the state. I'm impressed that Hall's Creek is listed as one of their
`nominated service centres'. (-:

> I've actually seriously thought about seeing if I can get multilink or
> some kind of IP load balancing working and just get 2x56k - it'd be
> decent, un-capped, and I'd know that I would be getting the same thing
> next month too.

I'm currently running 64k DoV to ArachNet, and they've only booted me off
twice today (once was an accounting stuffup), which would work out at around
$50 total per month. With a dual link (128k) add $22 and double the call
costs, so $84 a month. Expect to drop off once or twice a month with a
`permanent' account ($77 one channel, $99 dual).

Disclaimers: I would be a WestNet customer but Telstra rudely decided that I
was too far from the exchange for ADSL. I am an ArachNet customer and have
just swapped some webpage content for a free uprating to permanent. My
workplaces use ADSL to iiNet, Telstra and Optus, modems/DoV to iiNet, Indigo,
Open Systems and ArachNet, and Eftel wireless. I don't benefit from or get
paid by anyone for plugging their service. Have you booked your place at
LCA2003 yet?

Cheers; Leon