[plug] School Web Page

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Aug 7 12:25:47 WST 2002

Michael Hunt wrote:

>Why not just go DoV with Archnet. I find it services the three people in my
>household very well.

Yeah? I always got the impression that ISDN was a somewhat desparate
measure due to the absolutely _absurd_ prices I've been quoted on /
pitched  for work (by telstra admittedly). What kind of costs did you
face to get the TA, line install, and running service costs?

And mike replies:

It all depends what you have in place already.

I had two telephones lines as I had a need to connect to the net on a near
pemanent basis when I was working for my former employeer. (I did ISP
support so I got the company to pay for the install of the phone line,
monthly line fee and calls, plus I got my Internet access bundled for free
!!!! Looking back I can't believe how _much_ this must have saved me. Free
net access at Homer and work).  But I digress.

Because I had the second line I could upgrade it to ONRamp home highway for
about $190. Traverse (http://www.traverse.com.au) sell DoV capable NetJet
ISDN cards for $267. I brought the more expensive external Net Spider
because I could use it with two machines and it had pretty LED's. Looking
back I probably would have been better getting the cheaper PCI card (doing
128K over old serial ports can be difficult/impossible) but I have been
happy with 64K and the external lights are impressive and usefult for the
non techies in the house. *grin*

So on a monthly basis I pay $35.00 per month for ISDN Line rental plus call
costs (local voice calls max at 3 per day while sometimes 1 lasts for 2 days
depending on how busy Archnet are ... so say $20 tops). Then it is $38.50
per month to Arachnet for the premium account, less if you pay more up
front.

So all up I spend between $85 and $95 per month on Intenet infrastructure.
ADSL would give me the following benefits :-

Allow me to disconnect the ISDN service and reduce $35 per month of my bill
(but I actually use the second line for dialup work and if I got rid of it I
would have to use my single line for analogue modem work. Also I at times
need to be speaking on a phone and be dialed into a system at the same time
which either means keep the ISDN service of paying large mobile bills).
Curently with ISDN I have the equivalent of three phones lines which gives
me a voice line, internet line and a fax/data line.

More bandwidth. Well I don't seem to be maxing my current one out and
nothing still beats camel loads of CD/DVD *grin*.

Possibly as cheap or cheaper access. Well nothing comes free and most
cheaper options I have seen have certain caveats for me.

Well I hope that helps you a bit.

Michael Hunt