[plug] School Web Page

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Aug 7 15:04:11 WST 2002

>>One of the main reasons for getting DSL is to end
>>the stupid situation we have here where nobody can contact us.
>
> Do you have anything in particular against getting the same brand of mobile
> 'phone as your friends and letting them call you for free at night? (-:
Free mobile from work. Telstra. I just hate the things, and also I need
to be reachable _affordably_ from land-lines and internationally. All of
us have family mostly overseas.

>>BTW, is that un-capped (no byte charge) or something?
>
> Yes. 24x7. At the $38.50 a month rate, you'll get kicked off somewhere between
> about 1x and 3x per day, so factor in call charges (at, I think, 21c a hit
> but ask Telstra to be sure). Double the call costs, line costs, and add $22
> for 128k.
_now_ it sounds a lot better - since it appears to be very much w/o the
usual probs of alleged "broadband" services like ADSL like caps,
byte-charging, etc. Worth the extra cash up-front for the reliable
no-worries link that you know how much it'll cost for, I'd say. I gather
that DoV pricing structures are of similar levels of stability to those
of 56k services - that is, rock solid and not likely to be violently
upped or altered w/o warning?

I honestly thought it was a "no ADSL area only" option but it seems it
may be the service Telstra forgot to destroy...

Quick question: if I was to get 64k DoV ISDN put in on a new line into
the house, would it then be possible to w/o adding another line go to
128k later?

Thanks for the advice and for clearing up my (apparently utterly
scrambled) ideas about ISDN. Further investigation definitely required.
Aahhh, uncapped high-speed service....

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)