[plug] OT: internet connections + gaming (was: School Web Page)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Aug 7 15:09:54 WST 2002

> Not to mention that Telstra charge extra per extra user sharing the
> connection and that they give you no more bandwidth for your money.  Of
> course you don't have to tell them, but what would happen if they found
> out? :)

They get around to ripping you off another way. A while ago I got 256k
cable and only had it for 3 months before Telstra decided that "instead
of 3 gig /month you now get 1 gig at the same price, or you can have 3
gig still but only at $20/month extra". I'd signed up on the rationale
that they'd only recently re-done their pricing so they couldn't
possibly do it again for a year or so... *sigh*. I went back to 56k with
iiNet (I only suspended, not cancelled, my acct when I went to Cable -
damnn good move) and demanded an install fee refund. They've agreed but
I'm still waiting for my refund 6 _months_ later. They even blamed _me_
for wanting to leave after they changed the pricing, and said that they
were being "gracious" in waiving the usual disconnection fee. So
technically they _can_ up your fees to $500/month with $50/mb and zero
allowance, and say "sorry, its $450 to leave, too".

Telstra will _always_ find a way to rip you off.

> I get latency of 39-45ms on my unloaded ADSL, but thats due to there
> being 2500km of ATM between my exchange (Broome) and the Wellingston
> Street exchange in Perth :).  Others in Perth get as little as 10-15ms.

So in fact that's _really_ quite impresive. When our link is really
hammered with people updating things, etc etc I have recorded real-world
pings of over 10 seconds to dns.iinet.net.au.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)