[plug] [OTish] Hosting for Large Website with DB.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Aug 7 15:19:49 WST 2002

> One option is to go the full Co-location way, but this site could probably
> quite happily coexist on an existing box with other sites, and it would be
> preferrable if someone else could maintain the Operational aspects of the box
> (OS, security patches, backups, etc...)

I had to go co-lo for a basic SSL site a few years ago. All I needed was
mod_perl and apache-ssl but most providers weren't willing to provide
that at a vaguely reasonable price, so it proved cheaper in the end to
co-locate at Indigo networks. The machine was up for over a year 'till
some idiot tripped over the power plug a few months ago :-(

Co-lo isn't expensive and can be very reassuring security-wise, plus you
have _full_ control over your system.

> iiNet has a Web Affiliate deal for $1200 (for a measly 50Mb hosting) but only
> alludes to DB access, and "CGI Support" could mean CGIs (whereas a dynamic
> site really needs at least FastCGIs, and preferrably mod_perl or sim...)
>
> WestNet's excuse for DB hosting seems to be MS Access. Ugh!

Sounds like it hasn't improved much since I looked a couple of years
ago. *blech*. Maybe somebody will start offering "virtually partitoned"
servers like IBM's but on a smaller scale here - I gather some ISPs in
the UK are already doing it. Until that happens, co-lo seems the only
way to go.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)