[plug] Boot

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Aug 7 16:07:38 WST 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

> How can i speed up my boot time, and what are some services that I can
> disable. I have a fairly new install of Deb Woody

You can't speed up the kernel load time, but you can as you suggested turn
off unneed services.  If you can give us a list of the services your machine
runs (ls /etc/rc2.d/S*) then we can explain what they are and how you then
them off.

Having said that  You can find out which package owns the startup file

like:
# cd /etc/init.d                       [1]
# ls -l ../rc2.d/S20gpm
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Nov 23  2001 ../rc2.d/S20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm
# dpkg -S init.d/gpm                   [2]
gpm: /etc/init.d/gpm

Once you know what package the file belongs to you can:
# dpkg -l gpm                          [3]
uppercase=bad)
ii  gpm            1.19.6-12      General Purpose Mouse Interface

to get a general idea what the package does,
# apt-cache show gpm                  [4]
to get a lot more detail.

Once you know what a service does you will be able to say
Yup I need that or nup that seems useless to me.  In the latter you can just
delete it.

[1]  in older Readhat's this was /etc/rc.d/init.d
[2]  in rpm based OS's this would be rpm -qf `pwd`/gpm
[3]  in rpm based OS's this would be rpm -qi gpm  or;
                                     rpm -qi $(rpm -qf `pwd`/gpm)
[4]  rpm -qi gives the basically the same info.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!