[plug] Boot

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Aug 7 17:10:52 WST 2002

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 16:07, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
>> How can i speed up my boot time, and what are some services that I can
>> disable. I have a fairly new install of Deb Woody

> You can't speed up the kernel load time

You should know better than that! (-:

You can recompile a kernel optimised for your CPU, with only what you need in
it, and the drivers needed during boot builtin rather than modules.

Also...

You can have a look at what each service is doing, and reduce it. For example,
get Squid to check a local DNS first, don't ask Apache to load modules you're
not actually using, don't load (x)inetd if you're not using any of the
services in it. And so on.

Cheers; Leon