[plug] Re: OpenOffice.org does do databases

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 8 13:46:07 WST 2002

Sol wrote:
> Just thought I'd add a little postscript to Leon's post because there
> might be others out there who, like me, are new to OOo-DB connectivity.
> I hit a couple of snags but got some very useful advice from a guy
> called Paul on the Postgres-Novice mailing list (see attached) and from
> www.unixodbc.org (check the sections under manuals - veeery helpful). On
> www.unixodbc.org there's even a manual in PDF with diagrams (very
> helpful for complete idiot's like me) that explains how to connect OOo
> to MySQL (but it's not difficult to extrapolate to another DB).
> I'd recommend it to anyone.

Setting up UNIX-ODBC is handy for getting the basic connectivity ( I use
OO.o for mail-merges, printing addressing labels, etc etc from a
postgresql db and have been for ages now) but I'm still looking for a
forms + data editing tool useable by random near-computer-illiterates
like I have here at work. MS-Access level stuff - make the DB look like
a spreadsheet, plus provide basic forms capability. (I know ms access
can do more than that but thats what I need). Still haven't found
anything. Ideas, anybody?

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)