[plug] Boot

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu Aug 8 14:09:42 WST 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 05:48:28PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Unfortunately whenever I upgrade a package like postgresql, the package
> restores all its /etc/rc?.d/ links :-( w/o asking. Any ideas how to get
> debian to _properly_ disable a service from loading at boot?

The "Debian way" is to use update-rc.d (check the man page) to update
all the System V init scripts, so my guess would be to look there.

If you really want to handle init scripts and not allow packages to
override your decisions, you need to change from sysvinit to file-rc.  I
haven't tried it, but it should do what you need it to.

For those still reading... in that past, I have done terribly hacky
things such as:

# chmod 000 /etc/init.d/blah

and although this does break updates that need to write to the init
script, it at least tells you that's it's messing with things.  Just
removing the execution bit is actually enough to stop the script from
running, though.

Modifying your default runlevel is also nice, since it lets you
start/stop a number of things by hopping runlevels.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Never be afraid to try something new.
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | Remember, amateurs built the ark.