[plug] Boot

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Aug 8 14:22:46 WST 2002

> The "Debian way" is to use update-rc.d (check the man page) to update
> all the System V init scripts, so my guess would be to look there.

Unfortunately it seems to just remove the symlinks. Next update, they're
all back again. Additionally update-rc.d is (IMHO) pretty painful at
least compared to the chkconfig that mandrake 8 had (years ago when I
still used RH-based distros).

> If you really want to handle init scripts and not allow packages to
> override your decisions, you need to change from sysvinit to file-rc.  I
> haven't tried it, but it should do what you need it to.
I'll check it out.

> For those still reading... in that past, I have done terribly hacky
> things such as:
>
> # chmod 000 /etc/init.d/blah

Yeah. Though I usually chmod 644 instead, or just
rm /etc/rc?.d/[SK]??<pkgname>

Its a pain to have to do it again and again though.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)