[plug] iptables question

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Aug 8 23:23:31 WST 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 10:50:14PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> How can I stop the displaying of the iptables information from
> showing up on the console?  Also is there another way of having
> the iptables information from showing up in /var/log/messages?
> prefer to have this information in another file if possible.

If you're talking about the messages from the LOG target, the way
I've always done it is using my kernel compiled with the Magic SysRq
key[1], and press Alt+SysRq+0 to set the log level to zero for the
console. Alternately, just reading Colin's message now, you could
specify --log-level 7 on your LOG targets (it might need 8?)

As for /var/log/messages, you can use syslog-ng and grep them out,
or pipe them into another file (I have /var/log/firewall). But if
you don't want them on console or logs, why are you LOGging them at
all?

Rgds,
Bernard.

[1] I'd recommend to use a kernel with the magic key complied in,
anyday. Has saved me from many a fsck on boot and less lost data
(even with journalling), random X crashes didnt have to take down
the machine, runaway scripts (such as :(){:|:&}) and relieved a bit
of paranoia :)

--
 Bernard Blackham
 bernard at blackham.com.au