[plug] iptables question

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Aug 9 06:32:15 WST 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 23:23:31 +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:

| On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 10:50:14PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
| > How can I stop the displaying of the iptables information from
| > showing up on the console?  Also is there another way of having
| > the iptables information from showing up in /var/log/messages?
| > prefer to have this information in another file if possible.
|
| If you're talking about the messages from the LOG target, the way
| I've always done it is using my kernel compiled with the Magic SysRq
| key[1], and press Alt+SysRq+0 to set the log level to zero for the
| console.

Rather than doing this by hand with Magic SysRq, you can add
	/bin/dmesg -n1
to one of your startup scripts (in Debian, create a shell script /etc/init.d/dmesg; in Gentoo, add it to /etc/conf.d/local.start). It may be a bad thing to set the log level to zero, as it means that you won't see any kernel panics when they happen - I use log level 1.

You can also do it by messing around with syslog as other people suggested.

CP.