[plug] Warning: PC Hardware can catch fire.

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Aug 9 08:55:57 WST 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:06, James Bromberger wrote:
> Just a heads up to anyone else who likes having their PC hardware systems
> ready and running 24/7:

> 	http://www.james.rcpt.to/2002/2002-08-08-computer-fire/

> PC hardware can burn. I was lucky in that I didnt burn the curtains next
> to the computer (or the rest of the house), but did manage to salvage a
> SCSI card, 512 MB of memory, 60 GB of disks, CD-ROM, Floppy. Not so for the
> very dark coloured video, network and firewire cards...

FOAF had their PSU explode violently, blew a hole in the plaster wall behind
the machine (think about back-to-back office desks), flipped the monitor over
the operator's head, crash, onto the floor behind them, deafened him for 3
days, totalled *everything* in the machine, of course. I wouldn't have
thought a PSU held that much energy but I guess a lot depends on how you
apply it.

Cheers; Leon