[plug] Warning: PC Hardware can catch fire.

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Fri Aug 9 12:42:11 WST 2002

Leon Brooks wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:06, James Bromberger wrote:
>

>>Just a heads up to anyone else who likes having their PC hardware systems
>>ready and running 24/7:
>>

>>	http://www.james.rcpt.to/2002/2002-08-08-computer-fire/
>>

>>PC hardware can burn. I was lucky in that I didnt burn the curtains next
>>to the computer (or the rest of the house), but did manage to salvage a
>>SCSI card, 512 MB of memory, 60 GB of disks, CD-ROM, Floppy. Not so for the
>>very dark coloured video, network and firewire cards...
>>

>FOAF had their PSU explode violently, blew a hole in the plaster wall behind
>the machine (think about back-to-back office desks), flipped the monitor over
>the operator's head, crash, onto the floor behind them, deafened him for 3
>days, totalled *everything* in the machine, of course. I wouldn't have
>thought a PSU held that much energy but I guess a lot depends on how you
>apply it.
>
>Cheers; Leon

I'm pretty sure what happened to this computer started with the PSU
catching fire (due to a close lightning strike/surge):

http://frozen.3fl.net/images/misc/burnt/

It was the only computer left on overnight, none of the other computers
got affected by it.  Not a very nice smell to say the least.

/ Ben