[plug] Warning: PC Hardware can catch fire.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 9 16:55:55 WST 2002

>>Forget trying to get yourself a year-long uptime :-)

Yeah? The co-lo web server that is "www.postnewspapers.com.au" was up
for a bit > 1 year before some tool kicked out the plug. Of course the
environment was clean and low on dust so it didn't need anything done.

> Cleaning out the dust
>>in your computer (and inside the powersupply if you know what you're doing)
>>with a paintbrush every now and again makes it less likely your machine
>>will blow up.

Use an air duster. That way, you can blast out the PSU etc without
opening it up, blow dust out of monitors (!), etc as well as get fans
etc clean. Still need to disassemble CPU fans etc to _really_ get them
clean but a regular air-dusting will help. I should know - no issues
with our servers here which I dust regularly like that, and I get a
_lot_ of dust out of them.

 > Don't do it with the power on :)

Using an air-duster with the power on is a good idea - the PSU fan
expels an immense cloud of dust but at least it goes _out_ if the power
is on. Of course, I fully agree with you when it comes to the paintbrush
method.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)