[plug] cd burning problems/errors/verification

Daniel cottmain at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 10 15:44:36 WST 2002

Hello PLUG,

I have been burning cds [Liteon 32/12/10, Verbatum media, Debian Woody,
Xcdroast], getting "cd burnt successfully", attempting to do install and
finding cd not recognized.  So I back tracked to check ... on some
occasions I get:

md5sum /dev/sc0
returns: same as iso file

xcdroast verify command returns:
"Warning: Files differ on position 227328"

I have also found cds that did not verify correctly still booted and
seemed to work successfully [Knoppix].  Am I using the best method to
verify? (hate to throw the thing out if it really is doing the job).
Any suggestions?   I am tempted to take up Leon's suggestion and throw
the thing out and 'get a Sony'... I don't think many people bother to
verify cds: has anyone got positive experience where they verify the cds
this way and their burner always does a good job? ... perhaps I got it
wrong and the cds were never meant to give exactly the same md5sum.

Thanks very much,
Daniel.