[plug] samba problem

Lyndon Kroker ljkroker at netvigator.com
Mon Aug 12 22:49:51 WST 2002

Hi Jon,

> I have samba running on a RH7.3 server and a windows 98 client.  I cannot
> get the windows client to login.  I have the following setup already:

> Issue I cannot get a ipaddress.

It looks like you may have two problems.  I would set up the Windows machine
with a fixed IP address, even if it just temporary.  If samba is correctly
set up and offering shares then you should be able to see them in the
"Network Neighborhood" (even if you can't access them yet).

If you click on an offered share but cannot connect, then you might not have
set up your samba password file correctly on the Linux box.  (Yes, this one
cost me a few hours.)  The network passwords are send encrypted in Win98 and
later.  You can use the smbpasswd command to add a samba user on the server.
The sytax is:

smbpasswd [options] [username] [password]

Example:

smbpasswd -a jon jon's-password

Then make sure you "log on" to Windows with your username and password (case
sensitive).

The samba password file is usually at /etc/samba/smbpasswd.  If I remember
correctly, restarting smb is not mandatory after making changes to smb.conf.
However if you want to restart samba do this (as root):

/etc/init.d/smb start

To check on how things are going type:

/etc/init.d/smb status

You should get something like: