[plug] squid.. squid-cache?

Greg Orange orange at carey.wa.edu.au
Tue Aug 13 13:57:43 WST 2002

Hiyas,

First of all, a big thank you to the direct off-list help with fixing my
backup/restore scripts (:

I'm sure someone has written the info I want somewhere before, since it's quite
a generic request...

I have two networks, physically separated, each served by an almost identical
RedHat-based server. The Staff network is connected to the Internet. Permanent
physical connection between the two networks is not an option.

I wish to use squid's cache from one server, on the other. That is, if I want a
certain site to be accessible on the Student server, I browse (or select in some
fancy app) to the site from the Staff network. I then copy the cache from one
server to the other (using black magic.. or just some external device) and bam,
I can view it.
---
My question: How? Using what program/facility/? I don't really know where to
start looking on the topic. I have a feeling squid-cache might have something to
do with it, but I don't know, and I don't know how to start. I downloaded a
program called scache, which seemed to do the right sort of thing... but I'd
like to do it with squid if I can.

Oh, and a bonus would be the ability to just 'choose' a site and have it cached,
rather than actually browse to it.

hmm, long post.

TIA,
Greg.