[plug] squid.. squid-cache?

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Tue Aug 13 14:44:03 WST 2002

Hya,

A couple of questions...
Does the student network have a connection to the Internet? If so is it
permanent too?

Do you have dynamic or static IP's?

The direction I'm going down is the you can setup the Staff Squid proxy
to be the 'parent' proxy for the Student network via the Internet.
The line in squid.conf for the student network;
'cache_peer proxy.carey.wa.edu.au parent 3128 3130'
The address and ports need to be correct though.

On the staff network you will need have the specified ports open so
squid can connect.

You can then setup ACL's for you cache's to work together.

The only fall back is that is only caches "browsed" web sites, meaning
you must first have someone browse the site and then it will be cached,
which I think the same ruling for scache, but won't update workstations
local cache you will need to set the browser to do that.

On the workstations setup them to use a proxy on the ports you want them
on.

I trust this is on the right track for you.

Hope this helps.