[plug] squid.. squid-cache?

Greg Orange orange at carey.wa.edu.au
Tue Aug 13 16:02:15 WST 2002

Nope, the student network is completely cut off from the rest of the world. I'll
play with routing in a few months when I get the chance (: (the idea being to
connect the two networks together)

So I'd have an external device to transport data between the two networks
para-manually. ie plug/unplug into staff network, plug/unplug into student
network.

I guess you could say it's not a networking question, it's a squid/caching
question. As for browser proxies - I've got transproxy running.

Thanks,
Greg.

Quoting Paul Dean <paul at thecave.cantech.net.au>:

> Hya,
>
> A couple of questions...
> Does the student network have a connection to the Internet? If so is
> it
> permanent too?
>
> Do you have dynamic or static IP's?
>
> The direction I'm going down is the you can setup the Staff Squid
> proxy
> to be the 'parent' proxy for the Student network via the Internet.
> The line in squid.conf for the student network;
> 'cache_peer proxy.carey.wa.edu.au parent 3128 3130'
> The address and ports need to be correct though.
>
> On the staff network you will need have the specified ports open so
> squid can connect.
>
> You can then setup ACL's for you cache's to work together.
>
> The only fall back is that is only caches "browsed" web sites, meaning
> you must first have someone browse the site and then it will be
> cached,
> which I think the same ruling for scache, but won't update
> workstations
> local cache you will need to set the browser to do that.
>
> On the workstations setup them to use a proxy on the ports you want
> them
> on.
>
> I trust this is on the right track for you.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Greg Orange wrote:
>
> <snipo>
>
> --
> Paul...
>
> /***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
> 	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
> 	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/
>
> /*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy
> actors.
>            -- Unknown*****/
>
> /* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the
> time...
> 	-- Me */

Greg Orange
IT Support