[plug] OOov1.0

CraigA craigab at arach.net.au
Mon Aug 12 10:56:04 WST 2002

Hi all, Just installed OOov1.0 off the APC mag CD, July '02. It was under
the directory
/ontest/files as Zipped and Tar.Gz files for windows and Linux versions
respectively.
I can definitely say it works!! I have only one Spreadsheet file in my
possession and
it was made on msworks v3.0. All i did was save it as a *.csv file, put it
on a floppy and
then tried to import it into GNumeric and it crashed that App. Then I
installed OOo and
did not even reboot, then tried to import it into Calc and it went in first
Pop. That is
absolutely amazing!! I'd also like to say something about "Generic file
formats".

 Because a certain company in redmond changes their file formats around when
they introduce a
new version of their Office product, I have been telling people to save
their data in Generic FF's such as .RTF, .CSV or as Text Files so that we
can use these files on other platforms. If all of PLUG can start doing this,
maybe we can stymie "Closed File Formats" and cause You Know Who plenty of
grief. However, Open Office may be able to take on the Closed Nature of MS's
files and cause some grief that way. Either way, this is the beginning of
the end for microsoft. Wouldn't that be Wonderful? Thanks for listening to
my ramblings!