[plug] Intenet banking and Linux browsers

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Aug 14 17:39:01 WST 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Leon Blackwell wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 03:59:14PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > 128-bit encryption is not needed to be implemented in the web browser to
> > use the facility.
> >
> > This issue was previously dicussed on the list, a year or so ago.
>
> Given that you've stated ANZ have recently changed their requirements,
> you might want to rethink that line of argument.

It still applies.

> > The applets used by the facility ("Our Internet banking does not use
> > applets!"), somehow implement an 128-bit encrypted tunnel, between the
> > user and the facility. Christian (from memory, he understood it at the
> > time) could better advise on how it is done (if he is still subscribed to
> > the list, and is interested in explaining its again).
>
> ANZ's internet banking doesn't use applets, so I have no idea what
> you're talking about.  As I stated in a previous email, Java is not
> required; only Javascript is needed.

Okay, then. What do YOU call new browser window things that open up, that
have no browser window controls, that cannot be changed in size without
crashing, that mimick applets, that look like applets, that feel like
applets, that work like applets, that taste and smell like applets...?

Others have agreed that they are applets. Perhaps, you name them pearlets

> > When I had tried to login, I consistently got "This service is currently
> > available. Please try again later", which is probably as useful and as
> > meaningful, as the "fluffy bunny rabbits".
>
> What URL are you trying to access it through?  Perhaps the link you are
> using is outdated.

The URL is irrelevant. I have tried various URL's, including the one that
they have provided. One of the URL's that worked with Opera, is the same
one that I have used in the past; it prevents the opening of an extra
APPLET.

> Of course, that's ignoring the chance that the system was actually
> unavailable (which I assume you meant instead of "available").

Sure. the system was unavailable for a week or so. That sounds
like them...

Yes - I did mean "unavailable".

> > Not ANZ's fault? Phhhht! Perhaps, if they hired professional
> > programmers, and hired competent staff, then, they might get a
> > professional product...
>
> Netscape 4.7x for Linux has a terrible Javascript engine that falls over
> for no particular reason, leaks memory like a sieve, and is not
> considered useable by any modern webdeveloper that does more than
> popping up a new window or changing the text in the status bar.
>
> This is why we have Mozilla.

Netcape 4.61 was more stable than 4.7x . I had (mostly) successfully used
4.61.

So, you think everything should be Mozilla? Sounds like you believe in
monopolies, like the MS/IE monopoloy implemented by many websites.

Mozilla is not the only functioning web browser, you know.

> > No. All it means, is that they are so knowledgable, that they do not know
> > that other configurations exist (or, that they should not type in format
> > c: on their main windows server, that has all the blank's records on
> > it...).
>
> You think they should support every possible configuration?
> Should they debug your ppp chat-scripts too?  Floss your teeth?

Have you heard of universal accessibility? Have you heard of standards in
programming, and standards in programming languages, such as ANSI or ISO
standards? No? Perhaps, you are well qualified to work for the anz.

> > No. Going on past experience, the ACCC is actually more likely to advise
> > me that, as previously indicated, it is strict ACCC policy, to actively
> > support restrictive trade practices, and, unconscionable business conduct.
>
> I would hardly call not supporting one particular (and very, very
> outdated) browser "unconscionable business conduct".

It had nothing to do with web browsers. The past experience related to an
institutional monopoly that was guilty of unconscionable conduct, to whic
the response of the ACCC, was, "so what"

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
 - Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 - Douglas Adams, 1988