[plug] Intenet banking and Linux browsers

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Wed Aug 14 18:14:15 WST 2002

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 05:39:01PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> Okay, then. What do YOU call new browser window things that open up,
> that have no browser window controls, that cannot be changed in size
> without crashing, that mimick applets, that look like applets, that
> feel like applets, that work like applets, that taste and smell like
> applets...?

I call it a "new browser window", myself. They do it with JavaScript;
There's no Java being used. I've used the ANZ for years (using NS 4.x,
NS 6.x, Linux; Mozilla hasn't yet worked for me on their site) and I
have Java turned off all the time.  Their customer support once told
me that their Web developers say they pop open a toolbarless window
because using the back button breaks their site.  That reflects
extremely poor programming and little understanding of the Web and
User Interfaces on their part, but it's got nothing to do with Java.

To print when their Javascript print links don't work, use Alt-P or
Ctrl-P, depending which browser you're using.

I happen to agree that they can achieve everything they need to
achieve for on-line banking without being restrictive when it comes to
browsers. It's not as if they've created a great UI experience even
for those using their recommended browsers, and other sites manage far
more complex things without browser restrictions; it's actually not
that hard.

Colin