[plug] [link] Open Source Software Institute

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Aug 14 21:55:27 WST 2002

This is the crew responsible for assembling the deal in the previous link.

   http://www.oss-institute.org/

Click below the nice picture of an aircraft carrier hooting along (bow wave
maybe 8m tall) to read this quote:

    Although the Naval Oceanographic Office is an operational activity,
    we fully appreciate and understand the power of collaboration with
    academia, research and development organizations, and industry.
    Leveraging the knowledge and economies of scale available through
    partnerships is an essential ingredient in the recipe for success.
    Although it may be somewhat trite, there is great truth in the
    derived acronym: `TEAM' (Together Everyone Achieves More).  One of
    our newest partners, through a Cooperative Research and Development
    Agreement (CRADA), is the Open Source Software Institute.  OSSI
    brings a wealth of open source software knowledge and experience
    to NAVOCEANO which we are confident will make our operations more
    efficient and effective.  In turn, we will expose OSSI to a wealth
    of operational applications for open source software which should
    open many new doors of opportunity for the institute to explore.
    I am very excited about our newest partner and look forward to
    sharing many exciting successes with OSSI.  Together we'll make
    NAVOCEANO, our Navy, and our Nation stronger.

    CAPT Phil Renaud, Commanding Officer, Naval Oceanographic Office

Yes, it does seem to have been news day today.

Cheers; Leon