[plug] [system] works but no icons

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Aug 15 11:08:27 WST 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:08, wayne wrote:
> 1.
> Sound server fatal error:
>         /tmp/mcop-w is not owned by user

Delete that file, it will be re-created as necessary, but with correct
permissions. In fact, it might help a lot to start at runlevel 1 and empty
/tmp completely.

> 2.
> Could not start process
> Unable to create io-slave:
> klauncher said:  unknown protocol "file"

Not good, implies bits missing from KDE. Try renaming the ~/.kde directory to
something else (mv .kde .kde-mdk8.0), exit and login again. KDE will
re-create the directory.

If this fixes your ills, you may want to try copying bits and pieces (KMail
address book etc) across from your `old' .kde directory tree into the new one
to restore that information. If you dupe the new directory (cp -a .kde
.kde-undo) before you try moving each new item or collection across, that
gives you the ability to unwind a change if it breaks things.

> 3.
> Can't load docking tray icon!

Likely to be connected with the above. KDE doesn't yet upgrade very smoothly.
I understand that 3.1 will be more tolerant of opsolete configuration data.

Cheers; Leon