[plug] ADSL with modem backup

Paul Dean paul at thecave.cantech.net.au
Thu Aug 15 15:36:39 WST 2002

Hya Luke,

I've too have given some thought to this and found the need for a simple
'ping' daemon to be running, or by cron to test the link at set
intervals, say every 5 mins.
If the link is unreachable for, like you said 30 mins you just run `ifup
ppp1` with all the right cfg files in place and the 'ping' script keeps
running and when the adsl link is back up you bring down `ifdown ppp1`
your PSTN link.

A fairly simple perl script using Net::Ping would suffice, you could
then build a daemon to run too with full networking tests builtin.

You are using pppoe stuff then it comes with 'adsl-status' you
incorporate that into your test as well.

How's you bash/perl scripting?

--
Paul...

/***** Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to
	recognize a mistake when you make it again.
	-- Franklin P. Jones *****/

/*****All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
           -- Unknown*****/

/* How smart are Computers? They seem to need instructions all the time...
	-- Me */