[plug] Argh! debian/smrsh/minimalist not playing nice :(.

bob bob at fots.org.au
Thu Aug 15 19:14:11 WST 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 18:41, Brian Tombleson wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> I've had problems in the past with this also.  I don't have any direct
> documentation to point you too, but sendmail checks permissions and
> availability on all leading paths too - so for |/usr/lib/sm.bin/minimalist
> check your permissions on /usr and /usr/lib and /usr/lib/sm.bin to make sure
> they are not too open or closed.  Simply opening permissions on sendmail
> related activities will often be refused because it is considered security
> risk.
Ok, I'll look into that.

nope... 755 like others in the dir (I made a copy rather than
symlinked... slack I know :).

> If no-one else has access to configuring your sendmail (and user-level
> additions), then you might want to consider not using smrsh (ie. turning the
> feature off).
Yes. That may be the easiest (and not too risky) solution. I _would_
like to find out what I've done wrong though :/

> Lastly, are you sure your smrsh directory is /usr/lib/sm.bin ? .. On my
> debian system it's /etc/mail/smrsh (check /etc/mail/sendmail.mc to see if
> it's set there or otherwise consult the sendmail documentation to confirm
> where the default it).
This is where I got quite confused :(. Most of the documentation points
me to /usr/lib/sm.bin but ONE piece mentions that I should symlink from
/usr/lib/sm.bin to /etc/mail/smrsh so I did... no change :(.

Also changed aliases to point to /etc/mail/smrsh... no change.

Since I posted I've had more of a play with the setup. I changed the
aliases for minimalist so it doesn't have the trailing list name on one
of the lists. When I post to that list I get a reply indicating I'm
talking to the admin function, I try subscribing and it says OK. However
now anything sent to other (hopefuly configed properly) list addresses
are just blackholed :(.

Logs only show
Aug 15 18:56:17 fatso sm-mta[15567]: g7FAuGMx015566:
to="|/usr/lib/sm.bin/minimalist bla", ctladdr=<bla at fots.org.au> (8/0),
delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=prog, pri=30512, dsn=2.0.0,
stat=Sent

And I cant find any trace of the email elsewhere :(.

> HTH.
> - Brian.

Thanks for the reply :).
--