[plug] Argh! debian/smrsh/minimalist not playing nice :(.

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Thu Aug 15 18:41:07 WST 2002

Hi Bob,

> Attempts to use any list manager with a debian+sendmail setup is being
> frustrated by smrsh not accepting new services. Everything I've read
> about the subject says in essence to just copy/symlink the bin to
> /usr/lib/sm.bin and away you go (well not _all_ but anything written
> with debian in mind :). At the moment I'm trying minimalist but I've had
> the same results with mailman, sympa etc etc.
>
> I've about run out of ideas to try to get this going... anyone able to
> give me a hint as to what I've missed?

I've had problems in the past with this also.  I don't have any direct
documentation to point you too, but sendmail checks permissions and
availability on all leading paths too - so for |/usr/lib/sm.bin/minimalist
check your permissions on /usr and /usr/lib and /usr/lib/sm.bin to make sure
they are not too open or closed.  Simply opening permissions on sendmail
related activities will often be refused because it is considered security
risk.

If no-one else has access to configuring your sendmail (and user-level
additions), then you might want to consider not using smrsh (ie. turning the
feature off).

Lastly, are you sure your smrsh directory is /usr/lib/sm.bin ? .. On my
debian system it's /etc/mail/smrsh (check /etc/mail/sendmail.mc to see if
it's set there or otherwise consult the sendmail documentation to confirm
where the default it).

HTH.
- Brian.