Virus transmission via list - was Re: [plug] Here to find out more!

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sat Aug 17 14:28:49 WST 2002

> Its not that easy.

Here's some stats from my own archives:

Out of 3500 messages from PLUG between March and July 2002
inclusive, only 8 were over 30K. Of these, 2 were viruses, 1 was the
XP EULA, and 5 had hefty attachments or logs which weren't entirely
necessary to send to the list (including replies with attachments
attached).

Looking through my "viruses" folder (I collect them), the old
Snowhite virus is the smallest at 32K. There is some .scr virus at
38K, and the rest are all at least 80K or more, including Klez
weighing in at about 115K.

Essentially, if people are concerned about receiving large
attachments or viruses, is it too easy to enforce a size limit of
30-50K on the list?

This is being extremely generous, and if you're posting more than
this to the list, there are better ways. (put attachments on
webspace, email them to people personally, don't use HTML etc).

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham