[plug] Fw: Virus found in message

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sat Aug 17 23:18:59 WST 2002

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:25, Luke Dudney wrote:
> There is generally never a Return-Path header while a message is in
> transit. It is added by the final/local delivery agent at the message's
> destination, and reflects the envelope sender (MAIL FROM) address.
> So there would not have been an actual Return-Path header when WestNet's
> virus scanner picked up the message - it sends notifications to the
> envelope sender.

Disagree. The virus scanner is a kind of MDA target. At least, I can return
those messages correctly with AMaViS, so I presume something `industrial
strength' such as used by not-stupid ISPs would have no problems either. Many
server antivirus setups run the mail through the system twice, once for
antivirus scanning alone, and once for real delivery.

Cheers; Leon