Virus transmission via list - was Re: [plug] Here to find out more!

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Aug 18 12:25:43 WST 2002

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Bernard Blackham wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 07:41:46PM +0800, Im-Press wrote:
> > I would recommend to get some sort of poll so PLUG list users can
> > vote for th proposed 30K limit.
>
> I believe Colin is currently PLUG's webmaster and can set up a poll.
>
> Thought I doubt we really need a poll. If anybody is against a 30K
> limit on the list, let them speak now and be heard. Without being
> autocratic, if there are no substantial objections then we politely
> ask the listmaster to enforce one[1]
>
> Objections?
>
> Rgds,
> Bernard.
>
> [1] I'm assuming that it isn't too difficult to implement
> technically, in either the MTA or the MLM.

I still say that attachments should be banned.

Of the (about) 80 lists to which I subscribe, all but (perhaps) 2
strictly enforce a "No attachments" policy, simply deleting
attachments or rejecting any messages with attachments, and the only
viruses that I have received that were distributed by mailing lists,
were via those two  mailing lists. They were the PLUG list, and the
linux-aus list.

There is no need for attachments to be distributed by a mailing list.

Bret Busby