[plug] C tutorials, linux specific

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Sun Aug 18 15:31:53 WST 2002

Hi John

$ gcc -o  prog1  prog1.c

The above command will compile prog1.c to produce the executable called
prog1

When you want to run prog1 you have to enter:   ./prog1
assuming you are running it from the directory in which it is located.  Your
search path does not include your working directory, so

1.  you either need to change your search path (not recommended)
or
2. explicitly declare the working directory (./)

If you still have any difficulties, do an  ls -l  to list in long format all
files in your working directory and see what the permissions are and who
owns the files.

These commands will change permissions (if you have permission to do so):
chmod 777 prog1.c
chmod 777 prog1

You can change ownership with these commands:
chown your-login-name prog1.c
chown your-login-name prog1

Hope this helps.......

James Elliott