[plug] Debian stable

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Aug 19 09:23:15 WST 2002

Dear James,

I'll defer to more knowledgeable comment* but in the meantime...   GRUB
maintains a configuration file along the same lines as LILO's.   GRUB's
configuration appears to exist in a menu.lst file in the boot
directory.  The entries in this file appear similar to those in lilo.conf,
in that you have multiple sections, one per OS or OS version, each one
having a title that appears in the boot-time menu.  There are sufficient
differences however, that the two do not appear to be  drop-in replacements
for one another.

I'm starting to browse through http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ for
reasons that I'll eventually want to boot several operating systems.   A
useful reference point seems to be http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/

HTH,
Denis

* Up to now I've been using LILO for selective boot.  Discussion on this
list over time indicates that GRUB is more versatile and as my needs will
soon mandate the use of several OSs for work purposes, I am starting to
investigate GRUB for myself.  Early days yet :-)