[plug] Debian stable

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Aug 19 15:46:20 WST 2002

> Grub still gives a choice of Windows 98 or Red Hat 7.3.   If you choose
> Windows it proceeds without any problem, but choosing Red Hat causes kernel
> panic, obviously  To fire up Debian I have to boot from a floppy disk
> (Debian boot disk).
>
> Does anyone know how to edit Grub so that it looks for Debian and not Red
> Hat?   If not, any other suggestions would also be welcome.

Latest debian is woody (3.0).

I suspect that LILO failed to install on your MBR when you ran the
debian installer. Why? who knows, it normally works fine. As a result
your GRUB boot sector (from Red Hat) wasn't overwritten. If you hadn't
had Red Hat installed already you would've been booted directly into
windows w/o any boot menu at all.

You have two options - install LILO on your MBR, or re-install GRUB for
Debian. Personally I think Debian works better with GRUB (packaged
kernels are easier to install etc) but it isn't installed or used by
default.

apt-get install grub

then read the README.Debian in /usr/share/doc/grub

but in summary:

grub-install /dev/hda  ( assuming hda is the BIOS's default boot disk )
update-grub
vi /boot/grub/menu.lst (the file is largely self-documenting)
update-grub

then reboot. You can change kernel parameters, even boot from alternate
devices etc from the grub menu.

If you want to use LILO (the debian default), it should've been set up
by Debain already, so try just running

lilo

and see what happens. If it fails, vi /etc/lilo.conf and experiment.
lilo.conf is largely self documenting but man lilo.conf and man lilo are
still very useful.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)