[plug] Virus attachment avoidance protocol (VAAP)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Aug 19 11:08:18 WST 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, James Elliott wrote:

> I agree - simple replies should not be sent as attachments.
>
> If it is appropriate to send a picture as an attachment, or even a reference
> document, one precaution we could all take is to include a line in our mail
> message body along the lines:
>
> Please find attached mypic.jpg;  cameramanual.txt ......... or similar
>
> Then the recipient can be reasonably sure that if only mypic.jpg and
> cameramanual.txt are attached that they came from the person described in
> the "From" column.
>
> If the message box is blank but there is an attachment - delete it!
> especialy if it ends in ".exe"

<snip>

> > On Sunday Brett and Hook suggested a ban on attachments.
> >
> > I third or fourth (?) that - but there are rare occasions on our list when
> > pics or other are genuinely discussed.  However simple replies should not
> be
> > in attachments; no need!
> >
> > Regards,
> > wayne.

James' reply is all very well, but the issue here, is whether
attachments should be allowed to be distributed on the mailing list, not
a "protocol" for sending messages between individuals.

The issue remains; the only two mailing lists from which I appear to
have received viral messages, are the only two mailing lists that have
distributed attachments with posted messages, and almost all, if not
all, of the other lists, strictly reject any attachments, purely as a
protection against transmission of malicious code.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Doglas Adams, 1988