[plug] Apache transfer logging

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Mon Aug 19 14:38:04 WST 2002

> Now, just because you can feed your access logs into a database, you
> SHOULDN'T. You should batch it. For the simlpe reason is that
> databases/networks/etc sometimes dont work. Once in a while databases
> get shutdown and restarted, and durign these times you cannot save logs.
> Doing reliable batch jobs means you have some period for downtime, and
> can recover from insert failures.

I haven't actually touched the log files - they're still headed to their
default location in /var/log. mod-acct simply stores info (specifically in and
out bytes) for each virtualhost in a database table of my specification. With a
little PL/SQL you can do some speccy things regarding automation and rotation.

Regards,
Adrian Woodley
Diskworld Computer & IT
www.Diskworld.com.au