[plug] apt-get can't swallow dpkg status file

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Mon Aug 19 15:36:30 WST 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:16:00PM +0800, ryan at is.as.geeky.as wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> apt-get is complaining of the following:
>
> E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>
> apt-cache is segfaulting.

I removed apt and reinstalled it to no avail before I posted, then I
purged it (should have done that first) it now seems to be all happy.

The file in question /var/lib/dpkg/status remained untouched during that
entire process, so it must have been one of apt's files that was the
problem and not one of dpkg's as the error indicated.

Ryan