[plug][protocol] no attachments please (was: Virus attachment avoidance protocol (VAAP))

wayne hatari at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 19 15:55:32 WST 2002

> During last few days SOME DISCUSSION on attachments was:
>
> Craig said:
> Personally, I'm all for attachment stripping - _if_ it can be done using
> something like procmail that can selectively strip attachments. I'd
> prefer, personally, not to strip S/MIME and PGP attachments but anything
> else can go >/dev/null .
>
>> "wayne" said:
> > On Sunday Brett and Hook suggested a ban on attachments.
> > I third or fourth (?) that - but there are rare occasions on our list
when
> > pics or other are genuinely discussed.  However simple replies should
not
> be in attachments; no need!
>
>The Hooker said:
> Maybe under those circumstances, pics and so forth can be put up on a web
> site and the URL left in the message ?  Safer I think.
>
>Brett argues strongly that there is no need at all.

If the attachments still keep coming can we get a vote on this?  It is
important.  If there is no need for an attachment then why send one?  What
is the logic?  There isn't even an argument to strip attachments since we
would all miss out on the stripped information anyway.

Come on you guys.  Let's not get silly about this - just type in a simple
message.  Attachments do have a place but only from time to time.

Question is:
1. Do they go through the list for no good reason;
2. to the website;
3. or get stripped?

Can we resolove this - or do I have to keep pestering you about attachments?
Hmmmm??

Kind Regards,
wayne.