[plug] How to trim down the size of /var files

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Mon Aug 19 20:41:28 WST 2002

When I originally installed my redhat 7.3 system I set /var on its own 500Mb
partition, just in case I got a lot of error messages, so it would not
overflow my system.
Lately, due to much 'tinkering' with the system I generated a lot of error
messages and the /var partition was getting above 90% of space used.
I was able to delete and trim some of the files, such as messages,
messages.1, messages.2....etc.
My lastlog file is very large now.  It is a data file and I do not know if I
can just delete it.  Will the system re-create the lastlog file
automatically?
Also the wtmp is getting bigger.  How can those 'data' files be trimmed when
they become too large?

Phil