[plug] ppp problem in log

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Aug 19 22:39:02 WST 2002

> I'm assuming that a module is missing in the ppp package is this correct?

Nope, its an alias for a kernel module, probably ppp_deflate.o
It probably isn't worth stressing about as (AFAIK) modems do hardware
compression anyway, and this won't cause problems just mean pppd doesn't
try to negotiate for deflate compression on the link.

If for some reason it is an issue (like my memory being fried and modems
_don't_ do hardware compression...), the fix is probably as simple as adding
	alias ppp-compress-21 ppp_deflate.o
in /etc/modules.conf

I'm _not_ sure that it is the deflate compression scheme, as there are
others too. Sorry but I don't have any effective way of checking.
Nonetheless, that's the general idea.

If you just want to silence the warning add
	alias ppp-compress-21 null
to /etc/modules.conf instead.