[plug] Nifty idea for dual booters

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 20 17:04:39 WST 2002

> I have about 10 different configurations backed up like this.
> When I want one I just zcat it through dd and reboot into it.

There's another handy use for this trick: after installing any MS OS,
disk image and bzip2 it then write the image to CD/DAT/hdd. When the OS
goes FUBAR you can just dd across the image and not have to mess around
installing the OS, apps, configuring, securing etc. I use this a lot for
the win9x workstations at work - it helps to make a 2G or so C:
partition for windows etc to keep things managable. Of course WinXP
might manage to find a way to object, but I don't and won't use it anyway.

I used to use win9x for gaming and had a 400mb bzip2'd image on my linux
partiton that I'd dd across whenever anything got flaky. Usually easier
than uninstalling a game or whatever, and I kept nothing of value on the
fat32 partition anyway :-)

I did have to use fips to restore the fat32 partition to full size after
the restore, but it was never problematic.

> Oh yeah, I boot with lilo and just chain to the hda2 bootloader.

Works really well. I just whacked win2k on my laptop (the only MS OS
I'll willingly use as secondary, but not SP2 thanks, allergic to evil
EULAs) and discovered that I can hibernate win2k, reboot into linux,
work, then reboot back into win2k when I need the modem and it restores
from hibernation as if nothing had happened. This rocks. I can't wait
for full, reliable ACPI for linux so I can do this in the other
direction too.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)