[plug] Open Office

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Aug 21 11:37:19 WST 2002

> I love my OO but got sick of the American spell checker, so went in to
> editing options and changed the language for documents to English
> (Australian).  Then I went back to OO Write and deliberately misspelled a
> few words, only small errors, and all of the were given the thumbs up OK by
> Tools/Spell check.

You need to fetch the appropriate dictionaries. Currently there's only
en_GB to my (limited) knowledge, and that must be munged a bit to get it
to work with the en_AU locale.

First, fetch the OO.o en_GB dictionary from www.openoffice.org:

http://whiteboard.openoffice.org/lingucomponent/download_dictionary.html

Grab the en_GB dictionary from the above page, or:

http://dict.progbits.com/en_GB.zip

Unzip it into:

OpenOffice.org1.0/user/wordbook

then edit dictionary.lst and append these _two_ lines (not just the
first one as per the readme).

DICT en GB en_GB
DICT en AU en_GB

This will alias the en_GB dictionary you've just installed to be used
for en_AU as well. Ugly but I don't know of an en_AU OO.o dictionary
yet. This way you can set everything to en_AU and OO.o doesn't complain
like it will otherwise. No need to suffer the en_GB locale for your
entire system environment or hack the soffice script to specifically set
en_GB first - just work as normal :-)

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)