[plug] Open Office in Local Government

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Wed Aug 21 12:26:11 WST 2002

Thanks for the advice on Open Office Dictionaries, Craig.

Here is another one for you, and anyone else who would like to comment.

The local Shire computer network administrator just asked me for a number of
floppy disk drives and also a copy of Open Office 1.0   If OO lives up to my
praiseworthy description of it, he will consider changing over to it.  He
has one concern - saving in a format that cannot be read by other Shire
offices using MS Word.  I explained that his staff can Save As ... Word XP,
2000, 97 ...etc. etc. and that OO can read any other format.

He had one question I could not answer: "Can you set Open Office Write to
default to Word format when saving?".  If the girls working for the Shire
have to remember to change from OO to Word format every time they save,
obviously someone is going to forget and electronically send an
unintelligible document to Perth.

Cant you set "Save" defaults?

I said I would get back to him after consulting with the experts on PLUG.

Kind regards,

James Elliott
Ravensthorpe Computers
ABN 34 305 232 710