[plug] email viri

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 20:21:24 WST 2002

> Has anybody on PLUG got a linux mail system running
> for a network including win32 machines where they're
> doing virus scanning on the email at the server?

[snip]

> I'm looking at Sopho's product (downloaded the
trial)
> but I was wondering if anybody on PLUG has
experience
> with this.

We have Sophos set up on one of our client's machines
(specifically at their request) but I'm personally not
fussed on its method of listening on port 25 itself,
and shunting the real mail server over to another one.
Besides, it's closed source :(

I much prefer amavis (http://www.amavis.org), which is
an open source perl script which integrates with your
existing exim/sendmail/qmail/blah. Idea being that the
standard mail server receives the messages, calls
whatever virus scan program (McAfee/Sophos/blah) as a
child process, then does various things as
appropriate.

We've used it on several clients for over a year, and
it works very well.

HTH
Andrew

=====
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins, for they are quick to anger and have not need for subtlety.

http://digital.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Digital How To
- Get the best out of your PC!