[plug] installfest

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu Aug 22 15:42:25 WST 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Bret Busby wrote:

> In past years, people have been run off their feet, and have been unable
> to attend to everyone.

We're attempting to address those issues at this years instllfest.

Firstly the "offical helpers" will be identifiable, they'll all be wearing
redhats (I'm not kidding, they _will_ stand out).  This should mean that
people can easily identify problem solvers.

Secondly, we're trying _much_ harder to do as many network installs as
possible.  If you're install can't be don via the network and you don't
already have a media set then you need to get a media set (they will be
available, but you can't take up helpers time and valuable bench space while
you get them).

Thirdly, We will only be installing the base options,  We'll get most hardware
working, video (3d iff time permits) sound and  network.  People that have
problem machines, may be less than satisfied.  We're going to help get people
over the first hurdel (installation), We'll help from there but we cant do it
all in one day.

We're also going to have a policy, once that machine is done (and the helpers
will get to decide that for the most part) you will need to packup the machine
and let someone else in.  this is an installfest user training and
configuration are seperate.

Having said that we intend to run mini talks on the day if we can get the
speakers.  I'm thinking 4, 15 minute talks every second hour on:
	Basic Linux
	Basic networking
	ISP Hookup
	PLUG

Net access will be restricted, to discourage irc'ing

> This can lead to frustration, which is not a good way to win converts.

Yes, sending half the people away in the same state they areive in is bad.
worse yet is sending people away with only half working systems.

> It's like having a sale, and carrying insufficient stock, leading to
> "Why advertise if you have not enough to sell?", which leads to
> frustration and people not returning.
>
> I suggest that it is better to have a bit more room and facilities, than
> is expected to be used, so that, if not all the resources are being used
> for installations, some resources can be used for demonstrations (eg, a
> demonstration "stand" for LTSP, one for Open Office, one for setiathome
> running on linux, one for Wine, one for Win4Lin, ("Come and see Windows
> software run faster on something other than Windows"), one for Knoppix,
> etc. That way, if people who come to see what it is all about, and,
> aren't quite sure about running Linux, they can see what it is like.

Previously the "demo" setup has been under utilised, it will be reduced to
one or two machines at the most.  We need to focus on getting machines in,
Linux installed and people joining the community.  There is a UCC PLUG meeting
the day after the installfest (the monday happend to be a public holiday
aswell) people that take their machines away will be encouraged to comem to
the meeting and have any problems solved.

In past years people have used the installfest as another UCC meeting,
while this isn't bad the time teken up by "Hos do you get CGI working in
apache?" and then "Cool, now how do you actually write a CGI script?"
take benchspace and time away from the main goal of the day.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!