[plug] installfest(s) - [was:bill kendrick interview]

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Aug 22 15:24:11 WST 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, sol wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:57:27 +0800
> From: sol <sol at autonomon.net>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] installfest(s) - [was:bill kendrick interview]
>

> >Interesting article John. He described the LUGODs running monthly installfests
> >which, I guess, PLUG does through UCC meets but they have a perceived flavour of
> >"maintenance" or tech help. Maybe the workshops could stress installation more
> >since (and I'm concerned about this) the proposed PLUG installfest may have a
> >big turnout this year; with more interest in Linux as it appears on lots o'
> >magazine covers. If it goes (seriously) off and we can't get to everyone's
> >install, then it'd be useful to start promoting installfestiveness at UCC each
> >month.
> >
> >Idle thoughts .. thanks for the post.
> >Harry
> >
> FWIW, my experience from my muso days (from long ago!) organising gigs,
> etc, tells me that it's always better to have not enough space in a
> venue than too much. A small-ish venue where people have to line up to
> get in creates the perception that it's really popular, that there's got
> to be something good going on inside. (Indeed, I recall reading about a
> sociological experiment where extras were hired to line up in a queue
> going nowhere in a public place. Random passers by intrigued by the
> queue would join the queue - though they didn't know where it was going
> - so as not to be 'missing out'.)
>
> My advice is, if you're expecting a very large turnout for the
> installfest - larger than what the venue and assembled volunteers might
> be able to handle - definitely invite media. It will create more of a
> buzz around OSS _and_ would be excellent publicity for PLUG.

I disagree (what's new, you may say...).

In past years, people have been run off their feet, and have been unable
to attend to everyone.

This can lead to frustration, which is not a good way to win converts.

It's like having a sale, and carrying insufficient stock, leading to
"Why advertise if you have not enough to sell?", which leads to
frustration and people not returning.

I suggest that it is better to have a bit more room and facilities, than
is expected to be used, so that, if not all the resources are being used
for installations, some resources can be used for demonstrations (eg, a
demonstration "stand" for LTSP, one for Open Office, one for setiathome
running on linux, one for Wine, one for Win4Lin, ("Come and see Windows
software run faster on something other than Windows"), one for Knoppix,
etc. That way, if people who come to see what it is all about, and,
aren't quite sure about running Linux, they can see what it is like.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988