Fw: [plug][protocol] no attachments please

wayne hatari at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 23 13:00:02 WST 2002

****** THIS IS AN APOLOGY (INDEED HUMBLE APOLOGY) TO TONY B-T ON WRONG
ATTRIBUTION ******

AND NOW RE-SEND ORIGINAL EMAIL WITH CORRECT QUOTES TO BERNARD BECAUSE I SEEK
GENUINE COMMENT ON SURVEY BECAUSE IF YOU BLINK IN THIS CLUB IT ALL JUST GOES
BY YOU - VERY QUICKLY!

On Friday 23/8/2002, Tony replied to Russ:

....but on 20/8/2002, Bernard had said:
>> We don't write our messages and then forward them as
>> attachments. They're just signed.

....to which, on 20/8/2002, Wayne had replied:
> Can't understand why in a club.

....but Brett had written:
> ...and everybody just replied to the list!? It would've been far more
> sensible to ask Colin to put up a poll on the PLUG site, than invite
> another 20 messages into the thread.

....to which Wayne had (quite properly he thought) asked/suggested:
> I want to hear all the proper arguments for using attachments,
> not just  "rah, rah, rah; no change".

So I think this current poll is flawed.  It has no option for allowing
attachments only for NECESSARY purpose - limited by senders' sensibility.
Or allowing requesting attachments via another form (eg webpost, alternate
list, etc. I don't know what other technical means might be sensibly used?)
Too much to ask?  Or shouldn't I ask?

I would have preferred that if discussion became elevated as it did/has and
required a poll then someone (perhaps a poll to decide?) would post the
proposed options to website, options changed/added during discussion, then
vote by a nominated time?  Thus the process is somewhat formalised.  It also
takes into account all options with reasoning.  And all members become aware
of the impending deadline.  That would avoid a hacker approach to polls for
the quick and the dead.

Kind Regards (and regrets again, Tony),
wayne.