[plug] Poll regarding attachments

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Aug 23 17:12:51 WST 2002

At 07:34 AM 23-08-2002 +0800, you wrote:

>I very much agree that a virus through the list is an object lesson in Linux
>superiority, but OTOH the list is for people just dabbling in Linux or
>wondering about it as well as for diehard Linux-only zealots.
>
>Whether we should do anything about that is a separate issue, and I don't
>believe we should. So far, very few attachments have come through the list
>over the years, and only two of those have been directly harmful to anyone.
>Windows users are at risk whether they read this list or not, and they can't
>expect us to cripple the list in the forlorn hope of pretecting them from
>their own software.

Leon - these are fair comments, but do you think your attitude will be
conducive to helping Windows oriented people to make the change to Linux,
when one the the reasons they may have for changing over to Linux is being
thrown back in their face.

I don't think you should cripple the list, you are obviously a dedicated and
avid supporter of Linux and I have no doubt that you are also a very capable
and professional person, but your blatant attitudes do not give me a great
deal of comfort.

A lot of people who use the list are Windows users contemplating a change to
Linux, and it is likely that there may well be an increase in Windows users
who would like to use the list  and gain support for the move over to Linux,
but - with this factor comes the realisation that with these new users there
may well be an increase in transmitted viruses, which in all likely hood
will not affect Linux users but will in fact affect other Windows users.
Thus compounding an already serious problem.

So then the number of virus related incidents from the past will have no
bearing on what is likely to happen in the future.

I would hope that a person with your capability and expertise would have a
more open mind for the potential of what lies ahead.

I am a newcomer to Linux, I have been on this list for several months and
have derived a great deal of pleasure  and benefit from the input of people
like yourself, but I am not encouraged by some of your attitudes, and I
expect that many other 'newbies' will feel the same way.

I will learn Linux the hard way, but I will not make the change until I can
feel confident about my ability to survive with Linux a my sole OS.

People such as yourself can have a major impact on how people like me come
to terms with linux, however you could also 'push' me the other way.

I mean no offense to you or any body, but your attitudes may well deflate
the cause which promotes Linux to people who have little or no understanding
of the requirements to use, configure and maintain Linux systems.

Regards Arie