[plug] rsync send_files error

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Aug 23 21:29:03 WST 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:29:30 +0800 Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>
wrote:

> > I'm trying to take my pre-stable woody to stable woody (Debian 3.0). I've
> > looked veeeeery carefully at the exclude list and I _think_ it's going to
> > end up grabbing potato (it's still there in non-pool form and now called
> > oldstable), woody, sarge, and sid, This could be interesting. The mirror is
> > getting fuller by the minute. Uh oh :)
>
> I'll be seeing you tomorrow and I'll give you a 7CD set of woody then if
> you want. (Do you want the ISOs or actual  CDs?) I used them to create
> an apt-move style local mirror, but it doesn't create a package pool
> structure suitable for rsync updates.

Hi Craig

Must have been about 5 femtoseconds after my post that it finished the rsync
last night. It has potato (oldstable), woody, sarge and sid and df tells me it's
just a tad under eleven gig; at the moment. Keeping up with sarge and sid could
be a bit of an effort but I'm mainly wanting the stable woody.

So there you go for anyone thinking of a debian i386 binary mirror.

> > Praps I should ask .. is it possible to use the ftp at poledra to do an
> > equiv. to a local drive "du" to see how much space the mirror occupies ?
>
> Not AFAIK unless you have ssh access or some other way of obtaining a shell.

Rightio. I looked at FTP commands and couldn't see any way to tackle it either.
It would be handy for these mirrors to run a script that wrote a report file
about total size at the base directory of each distro mirror.

> > Speculating on my original question above, is it likely the missing files
> > are simply because sid and sarge are being fetched and that they have
> > missing package "issues" ?
>
> Or the mirror is being updated while you download, so some files have
> been removed between listing and download. I've had it happen with
> iiNet's mirror.

I see. I might rerun rsync tonight which may be quick enough now to not have any
removed files. Thanks Craig.

All the best
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/