[plug] Problem with RH 7.3 up2date agent

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Aug 26 19:45:56 WST 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Colin Muller wrote:
>

> > If /var is on the / partition, try deleting some old logs you don't
> > need from under /var/log and see whether that buys you enough space.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> du -sh on /var shows only 3.7MB is used by /var. The log files appear to
> be less than a MB in total.
>
> I have a partition of about 1.5 GB, into which I tried to install
> Debian, but I could not get GNOME working, so the partition has been
> sitting idle, since this system build.
>
> I have about 122MB used by my /home directory, so I will probably wipe
> the Debian install (I probably took on more than I could manage, with
> the Debian installation), and make that partition my /home partition,
> taking the /home directory, out of the / partition, and into a partition
> of its own, which should free sufficient space to prevent further
> problems with package updates.

I have removed the Debian install, and mounted the partition as my /home
partition, and moved the contents of the /home directory into the new
/home partition (but not all in that order).

It seems to have worked.

The up2date agent is now busy retrieving the kernel package (12331 kb).

Thanks for the pointer about the space, Colin.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988